Friday, June 29, 2012
Noaaport Server Dies
This past week, I was out for about an hour and came home and found it very quiet in the radio room. Suddenly realized that the Noaaport Server was offline. All other computers and the UPS's were fine. Pushed the power switch on the server and heard a loud boom! Looks like the PS failed. Fortunately I had an identical serve in the rack. Unfortunately I never got around to loading the OS and Noaaport software. But fortunately I was able to pull the two drives out of the dead machine and insert into Server #2. Swap a few cables and I was ingesting gobs of Noaaport data again. I hope to get a new power supply so I will have a backup server again. Another fortunate thing is that all the text bulletins that go out on the CT Skywarn lists are run off another machine so that was not a problem. The servers handle alot of the graphics most of which are only used internally at this point. Either way I'm glad it didn't turn into a complete rebuild as I am still learning Freebsd and as often as I actually use the OS I'd need alot of research just to re-install!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment