Thursday, March 24, 2011

More in the way of technical problems

The problem appeared to be with my host provider (though they never admitted to that). I was close to the end of my term so I moved several of my domains to a new provider and all has been well for the past 2 weeks.

I FTP a small data file to my weather website at 30 min intervals. After working flawlessly for 8 years, this past week the connection will stop at the top of the hour. It can work for 2 or 3 hours but then the top of the hour comes around and it stops (for 2-3 hours) then resumes again. I am able to connect via FTP from work at the same time that I can't connect from the house. The interesting thing is if I remove my router and connect a computer directly to the cable modem (without rebooting) ftp works fine. Connect the router again and no ftp. Meantime email, web access etc work fine.

My OS is Windows XP
ISP is Optimum online
Broadband service is cable.
Connection is always on.
Router is a Linksys 54G.

I have tried a Linksys 54GL and Netgear 614 but after installing (rebooting modem then turning on router) they will work for a few hours and then I can't ftp for a few hours then they stop working etc.

1 comment:

jazzyjeff said...

Phil, had a similiar problem. Try reflashing the router with either a newer version or previous version. Mine turned out to be a hardware problem. It was a sporadic problem. I replaced the router,,problem solved.

Google